Arrival of the locomotive this week signalled the completion of 3 years of careful negotiations and an 800 mile journey from Switzerland to Mid Wales.
John Lloyd Peate was a coal merchant based in Llanfair Caereinion. When the railway opened in 1903 he ordered five private owner coal wagons from R Y Pickering & Co Ltd, the supplier of the railway’s rolling stock. Peate’s wagons carried coal between Welshpool and his Llanfair facility in the railway’s yard.
While used extensively by standard gauge companies, private owner wagons were very rare on the narrow gauge, with only the W&LLR and the Southwold Railway in Suffolk,... read the full story
The engine was publicly steamed July 8th to a crowd of society members and volunteers/workers, and will be making its first appearance at the upcoming Autumn Gala at Woody Bay station on Saturday, September 30.
The locomotive has been built at the works of engineering contractor Alan Keef near Ross-on-Wye, and was funded by independent charity the 762 club.
The original LYN was built in 1898 to a unique design, ordered and delivered in a very short time by the Baldwin... read the full story
Bagnall 0-6-2T steam locomotive ‘Superb’, normally resident on the Sittingbourne & Kemsley Light Railway in Kent, and diesel-hydraulic 0-6-0 ‘Badger’, owned by the Statfold Barn Railway in Staffordshire, will both be spending time on the popular mid Wales line.
Superb, built in 1940 under works no. 2624 for the Bowaters Paper Mills at Sittingbourne, will be a star attraction at the W&LLR’s annual Steam Gala on 1st-3rd September. The loco will be working passenger trains... read the full story
In 2010 the NNR opened a link with the National Rail network when they re-instated the level crossing at Sheringham to connect with the Bittern branch line to Cromer and Norwich. Since then the heritage railway has been looking at ways to develop greater use of the link, and last year promoted a pilot series of dining trains running through from the NNR station at Sheringham to Cromer operated on their behalf by charter operator West Coast Railways.
Running on just four days, the 2016... read the full story
Like many narrow gauge railways, the Leighton Buzzard Railway served a number of quarries along its route. While as an industrial line there was never a station to define the terminus, the end of the main running line has nevertheless always been recognized as being at the point where the line crossed Eastern Way and entered the main quarry itself at a location known locally as Double Arches. Continuing sand extraction at the quarries there means that Double Arches is not yet accessible, but... read the full story
Following an incident at the South Devon Railway (SDR) on the 1pm Totnes Riverside to Buckfastleigh train on Thursday 22 June 2017 -- involving a female passenger and her young son who almost entered a closed toilet without a floor and which seriously compromised their safety -- the Office of Rail and Road (ORR) and the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) are now both undertaking investigations at the SDR, and with which the railway is fully co-operating.
In line with current... read the full story
Jac first joined the railway as an engineering apprentice having left school at 16. After completing his training and apprenticeship, he went on to full time employment at the railway as a fireman as well as in the VoR's engineering workshop, working on restoring and maintaining steam locomotives and using many of the heritage skills he earnt through his training.
Jac grew up around the railway as his father Pete Smith has been a driver since 1989 and is probably one of the most... read the full story
Local Freemasons from Fairfax Lodge in Guiseley, supported by both Craven and Mawsis Lodges in Skipton, applied for the grant for the railway.
Bolton Abbey Station has close connections with both towns, with the preserved steam railway originally being constructed in 1888 as the Skipton & Ilkley Railway where the line then continued to Leeds via Guiseley. The Redundant signal box from Guiseley station and a water column from Skipton station are both preserved and have been re-... read the full story
The line now connects Bronwydd Arms with Abergwili – a new station that is on the outskirts of Carmarthen. This long-awaited extension of 1.75 miles brings the line to approximately 4 miles in length and there are already plans to expand a further 5 miles to Colwill and Llanpumsaint. This would bring the line up to around 10 miles in length. However, further plans to extend are still in the early phases.
This newly opened extension is the biggest in the line’s history and the first... read the full story
The locomotive, which last ran on the mid-Wales heritage railway in 2010, has spent six years on display at the Locomotion Museum in Shildon, an outpost of the National Railway Museum. Since leaving there in April, it has visited the Armley Industrial Museum in Leeds, the city where it was built, then Hull, the 2017 City of Culture, the Museum of Water and Steam at Kew, and the 50th Anniversary Weekend of Tyseley Locomotive Works in Birmingham.
At Blists Hill Victorian Town, the... read the full story