One of Britain’s newest preservation schemes is the beneficiary of a gift of redundant track.
The Yorkshire Wolds Railway, based near Fimber on the long-closed line from Malton to Driffield, has received the gift of 450ft of track from the power station at Drax.
The new track, which the railway hopes to have laid by next spring, will enable the railway to extend its running line to 250 yards.
The chairman of the Yorkshire Wolds Railway, Ed Hague, is quoted in local media saying: ‘We are extremely grateful to Drax for getting in touch and their kind donation of this material.’
Passenger services over the ex-North Eastern Railway line from Malton to Driffield ceased on 5 June 1950 and the line was closed completely on 20 October 1958. The railway was first reopened in 2008.
Latest Stories :