New use for goods shed at Meliden

Melinden goods shed
Planning Aplication submitted for reuse of Grade II listed goods shed
Published Mon, 2016-03-07 12:22

Plans have been lodged to convert a Grade II-listed goods shed at Meliden into a local community hub.

Author/Source: 

Editorial

Photography: 

Melinden goods shed © Wikimedia Commons

The plans for the building include the creation of a cafe, a commercial kitchen which will also be available for the local community to prepare their own produce for sale, a heritage centre, workshops for local craftspeople and a bike hire facility.

The ex-London & North Western Railway branch line from Prestatyn, on the North Wales coast, to Dyserth opened in 1869 to handle mineral traffic. Passenger services over the 3¼-mile long line, with its intermediate stations at Chapel Street, Rhuddlan Road and Meliden, were introduced on 28 August 1905 but were only to survive until 22 September 1930. Freight traffic, largely from the quarry at Dyserth, continued until 8 September 1973 although freight facilities were withdrawn from Meliden as long ago as 1 April 1957. Following the lifting of the track in 1980, the route was converted into a footpath.

The Shed” will include a cafe with seating both inside and out, a commercial kitchen which will also be available for the local community to prepare their own produce for sale, a heritage centre, workshops for local craftspeople and a bike hire facility.

Alongside the building will be allotments and orchard for local residents.

Latest Stories

- Revised arrangements for SVR’s autumn steam gala
- Better connections for Mid-Norfolk diesel gala
- LU station reopens ahead of schedule after eight-month closure

- Network Rail issues warning after lorries hit three bridges in 12 hours
- Repair solution agreed for Settle to Carlisle railway land slip

- News spotlight : Weekend marks the 50th anniversary of the end of the Somerset & Dorset