The Bala lake railway has been awarded a substantial Heritage Lottery Grant to enhance the covered accommodation for the locomotives and rolling stock.
Staff and volunteers at the BLR are celebrating the award of £38,500 to extend and improve the existing rolling stock accommodation at Llanuwchllyn Station. This is to cope with the current increasing demand and to protect the improved rolling stock which will accompany their ongoing plans for the new station in Bala. Speaking of the award, Project Leader Julian Birley BEM said:
"This is superb news for the BLR and for the local area. In recent years, the team has been reaping the rewards of its hard work to provide more events and a better visitor experience, and the year-on-year growth in passenger numbers reflects that. However, the existing facilities have become increasingly overcrowded and do not allow us to expand, particularly taking into account the increasing collection of historic locomotives and rolling stock."
As both a Director of the BLR and Chairman of the BLR Trust, Julian has been involved in complex negotiations for the funding and permissions necessary for the proposed expansion. Reacting to the extremely positive developments over recent months, he commented:
"A supporter watching our progress from over 200 miles away believes so strongly in the project that he has put up the entire purchase price of £85,000 for the next land purchase. This now gives the railway a strong presence in the town. It is well-known that, nationally, heritage railways contribute much to local economies. Now it really is the turn of Bala."
Latest from Unseen Steam :
- Lottery grant to help Welshpool & Llanfair promote African heritage
- Veteran engineman reunited with loco at Swanage
- Swanage Railway acquires rare T3 Class engine
- Proposal to create new heritage railway over Manchester ship canal
- Inexplicable Delay - 34052 'Lord Dowding' (11/03/17)
- S&C Reopening Train with Flying Scotsman (31/03/17)
- Cheltenham 'Castle' - No. 5043 "Earl of Mount Edgecombe" (25/03/17)
- Run round at the Racecourse - 7820 "Dinmore Manor" ( 25/03/17 )